Monday, December 13, 2010

Day Seven: 8 November 2010

This day, I left Worcester, and my friends the Beechings, to go back to London.   It was a raw and wet Monday, and Nick and Pat took me to the main Worcester train station.   Nick didn't have to go to work that day, so he took 'his Pat' and me into the city: to drop me off at the train, and Pat to her law office.

Before we left their house, however, I got a really nice photo of Nick and Pat, in their library (left).

My Worcester friends
Nick and Pat Beeching
So, we shlepped my bag into the boot of their car, and off we went to the train station.  We parked in a nearby car park, and made it to the platform in time.   Pat hugged me goodbye, and wished me a safe trip, before heading off to her law office.   Nick stayed with me until the train arrived.  We went to a little cafe on the platform, to get out of the wind and rain.

Within a few minutes, the train arrived.  Nick got me safely on board (bag and all), and happily waved goodbye, as the train pulled out of the station.   I will never forget the kindness and wonderful hospitality given by Nick and Pat Beeching!!!

The trip back to London from Worcester seemed to go much faster, than vice versa.   I suppose it was because I was now familiar with the town names that the train stopped at: Evesham, Moreton-in-Marsh, Honeybourne, Kingbury, Oxford, Reading, Slough....   I thought I could see a tiny bit of one of the Oxford colleges, as we pulled into the station there.   Of course, I saw more sheep and horses grazing in large and small fields.   Plus, the streams near the train tracks were rather full, from the rains the previous Friday, last night and today.   And the wind was definitely cold: much more like typical November weather in the UK, than the warmth I felt my first two days in London.

Eventually, we arrived back in London, at Paddington Station.   I made it out of the station with little difficulty.   I had to take a Tube train to Kings Cross Station, (photo left) which was close to my destination of St Pancras, and my next hotel: Novotel London St Pancras.   Actually, I had to take two Tube trains from Paddington to Kings Cross: I got off at the Edgware Road station and then got a train to Kings Cross.

One funny thing happened: when I tried to get out of the station, I got stuck in the ticket gate (didn't move fast enough, I guess!).   Luckily, an Underground staff member saw my dilemma, and assisted me through!

Once I got out of Kings Cross, I discovered that St Pancras International station was practically next door!   St Pancras is where one catches the Eurostar train to the European continent.   I was only spending the next two days in London, before getting on the Eurostar to my next destination: Ypres, Belgium.

I did spend a few moments in St Pancras station (photo right), getting a feel for the place--and also looking out for where I would meet my friend Sir Martin Gilbert for breakfast, on 9 November.    I also found where the Eurostar ticket counters were, so I would not have to go searching frantically for them later.

Eventually, I left St Pancras to look for the hotel.   I did ask directions once, but couldn't find it on foot, and eventually took a taxi instead, and was let off in the rear of the hotel.   I checked in (it was around 2 pm), and decided to stay put for the rest of the day.   I did call Nick back in Worcester, to let him know I'd arrived safely.

The Novotel London St Pancras Hotel was really cool: it was what I call "sleekly modern": all clean lines in its decor.   The room faced Euston Road, but it was pretty quiet, and very comfortable.   I must confess that the shower was a bit of a challenge: the tub was rather higher than I'm used to at home, and there was a curving glass door, which served as the 'shower curtain'.  But everything was sparkling clean and bright, and I enjoyed staying there very much.  The In-Room Service meals were excellent, I must say!

I'd forgotten to mention that, before I left Worcester, Pat made a lunch for me: turkey baps (turkey sandwiches on a wonderful small roll), bananas, and sweet treats.   By the time I got to London, I was really hungry, so this thoughtfully-made lunch hit the spot.   When I called Nick, I thanked him and Pat for this kindness!   

While in my room, I got out my London map, to figure out where I was.  I discovered that the 'new' British Library was very close to St Pancras International.   I decided I would visit the Library after my breakfast meeting with Sir Martin the following day.   I didn't go out walking the rest of the day, because my big toes were really hurting, so I missed seeing some of the nearby sites: The Inns of Court, London's legal centre, and Oxford Street, the big shopping area.  

Looking back on it now, I wish I had done that.  But it got dark early in November, and Nick had warned me that the area around Kings Cross is not really safe after dark (the local 'tarts' hang around the station).  So I stayed in.

Before I went to sleep that night, I inexplicably started to cry.  I was thinking about my meeting with Sir Martin, and felt overwhelmed.   Why would he, one of the most prominent historians in the world want to take time away from his very important work at the Iraq Inquiry, to spend a few moments with a nobody like me??   I guess I was making more of this than I should have.   Or perhaps I was only acting stupid....

No comments:

Post a Comment